Character terminology help!

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View


I'm trying to get some special characters to appear in HTML correctly,
but am unsure about which way is correct and also the term for this
type of encoding.

Could someone point to a resource that would let me understand the
difference between:


Which all seem to appear the same in an HTML document.



Re: Character terminology help!

zeebop wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

They are called entities and numeric character references.

Quoted text here. Click to load it /

Quoted text here. Click to load it

They are all the same character, though the first one may be rendered
differently, depending on the character encoding, which is why the other
two exist.

Re: Character terminology help!

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:17:34 -0600, Scott Bryce

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Thanks for your reply.
I was editing an xml document, and found it didnt like (errored) the
character, but would accept the other two - so are the other two used
interchangably and the recommended route when using these characters?

Re: Character terminology help!

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Actually that link you gave is great. Seems that either way of
referencing it is fine. I'll avoid using the direct character in

Re: Character terminology help!

more common characters, easier to find the one your looking for

Site Timeline