Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- ssh as socks proxy
- Wolfgang Meiners
October 27, 2005, 7:18 pm
rate this thread
in the last few days i learned basically to use ssh. Now, the following
problem arises: I have a Desktop and a Laptop. I wanted to use ssh as a
socks proxy and tried the following:
laptop> ssh -D 9080 user@desktop
(of course, user is a valid user at the desktop)
then, i configured the laptop-browser to use
as http-proxy server. I thought, i would be able, to surf on the laptop via
the ssh connection over the desktop to the internet. But typing an address
in the laptop browser, simply nothing happens. Maby, this is a problem of
the socks version (4 or 5), that is implemented on my laptop. Nevertheless,
when i close the ssh connection, i get an error message from the
laptop-browser, because the proxy server can not be found.
My questions are
1) is this principally the right way?
2) where can i find more information?
3) where can i find error messages or other information about what is
happenig at the ssh connection. (I find nothing about this ssh session in
Thank you for any information
- » ssh authorized_key working for user, but not for root
- — Next thread in » Secure Shell Forum
- » ssh on command line: force using a group size (prime size) of 1024 (and no...
- — Newest thread in » Secure Shell Forum