Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- Kester Allen
November 18, 2004, 10:31 pm
rate this thread
I've developed a plotting module for generating simple scientific
graphs. It's ready to go on CPAN, but it needs a good name.
I think my module distinguishes itself from the existing
plotting/graphing modules in the following ways:
* Data sets with unevenly-spaced x-data are handled trivially
* Residuals between two y-data sets can be calculated and plotted,
regardless of whether they are plotted against the same x-data
* Errorbars can be specified, and are correctly calculated for the
residuals, if applicable
* Log-lin, lin-log, and log-log plots can be created simply
* Plot data can be read in from a file, or fed in via arrays or
In addition, there are standard axis- and title-labeling, line/point
options, and other features one would expect in simple
scienctific-style plots. It uses PDL and PGPLOT.pm under the hood.
Plot::Simple has been a working name for it, but I'm interested in
hearing suggestions from the community.
Re: Request for naming assistance for new plotting module
> I've developed a plotting module for generating simple scientific
> graphs. It's ready to go on CPAN, but it needs a good name.
How about Graph::Scientific::Simple?
But more seriously, I'd recommend looking at the Graph::* top-level
namespace and seeing what naming patterns/conventions are being used
there. Then you could devise a name which wouldn't step on any other
module's toes. HTH.