Problem with DBD::DB2 and UTF8.

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!


  Here is my setup:

  DB2 V8.2 ESE running on Linux with utf-8 code set.
  Database territory                                      = us
  Database code page                                      = 1208
  Database code set                                       = utf-8
  Database country/region code                            = 1

  The tables in this database contain English, Spanish and Japanese text.

  I have DB2 V8.2 ESE setup on AIX (5.1, 5.2, 5.3), the database on
  AIX is setup as remote database:

 System Database Directory

 Number of entries in the directory = 1

Database 1 entry:

 Database alias                       = GBLCODE
 Database name                        = GBLCODE
 Node name                            = GBLNODE
 Database release level               = a.00
 Comment                              =
 Directory entry type                 = Remote
 Authentication                       = CLIENT
 Catalog database partition number    = -1

I have perl scripts using DBD:DB2 V 0.78 and DBI V1.45. The scripts were
running fine under AIX 5.1 and 5.2. Recently I upgraded one of the systems
from AIX 5.1 to AIX 5.3. Now my scripts do not work on AIX 5.3. When it
fetches/inserts any column that contains UTF-8 characters it
messes up the characters, and in many (not all) cases it thinks that the
data is bigger than the column during insert.

If I run the same script from AIX 5.2 system with everything else the same,
it works fine.

I ran command to update the instance and re-built DBI and DBD, but it did
not fix the error. I checked locale filesets between AIX 5.2 and AIX 5.3
and I cannot find anything missing.

I wrote a simple perl script that reads Japanese (utf-8) text from a file
and writes it out to another file, this seems to work so I think the problem
is in DB2/DBD interface.

I need to fix this problem because I need to upgrade the other system from
AIX 5.2 to AIX 5.3.


Hemant Shah                           /"\  ASCII ribbon campaign
E-mail:       \ /  ---------------------
                                       X     against HTML mail
TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail           / \      and postings      
-----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
I haven't lost my mind,                Above opinions are mine only.
it's backed up on tape somewhere.      Others can have their own.

Site Timeline