Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Michael Piotrowski
March 27, 2006, 1:13 am
rate this thread
I've just uploaded version 1.8 of the User::Utmp Perl module to CPAN.
It is immediately available from
It should soon be available from CPAN at
This module provides a Perl interface to utmpx- and utmp-style
databases on UNIX systems, the most important being "the utmpx file"
(typically found at /var/run/utmpx, /etc/utmpx or a similar location),
which provides information about users currently logged in. There is
also support for writing records to utmpx and utmp files. For further
details see the POD documentation embedded in the file Utmp.pm, which
will also be installed as User::Utmp(3) manpage, and the example.pl
The last release of User::Utmp was in 2001 (version 1.6), so it was
definitely time for an update. Changes in version 1.8:
- For compatibility with utmp, the utmpx read functions
generate a ut_time field; it can also be specified in the
argument to pututxline()
- Added support for NetBSD (hints file and various #ifdefs)
- Added Perl interfaces for all functions defined in the
Single UNIX Specification Version 3 (namely: endutxent(),
getutxent(), getutxid(), getutxline(), pututxline(), and
- Extended documentation; it now also says that utmpx is
- Enhanced test.pl
After making the release I noticed that I forgot to include some
contributions made by users; they'll be included in the next version.
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt
- » Required Perl Developer w/ UNIX. SQL and Shell Scripting.
- — Previous thread in » PERL Modules Announcements