Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- Future of Windows Media Center and WMV
- Cleetus Awreetus
June 6, 2009, 1:57 am
rate this thread
love Windows Media Center. I think it's the best part of Vista. I was
disappointed to see that Linksys is end-of-life'ing their extender line.
Is Linksys doing this because Microsoft doesn't see Media Center as
part of their way-ahead? I'm looking at archiving my DVD library to my
computer for viewing on my extender and WMV seems to yield great quality
on my extender at a reasonable file size. Am I shooting myself in the
foot by going with WMV instead of something like XVid or H.264? Any
Re: Future of Windows Media Center and WMV
Whatever you do, don't throw away the original DVDs. No matter what format
you choose to store your videos in, some technological advance will come
along and make everything today obsolete
You should do your videos in a format that works for you.
WMV is not the best quality for video, but is does have the advantage of
making smaller files.
Maybe you might check out MP4 and Mpeg2. Mpeg 2 is the video format used on
You can find MP4 (Mpeg4) on web sites and Youtube.com.
RE: Future of Windows Media Center and WMV
I believe Media Center will continue on for sometime, Microsoft has made a
number of improvements in Win7 Media Center. As for Linksys I would tend to
believe they did not sell Media Extenders in a large enough Quantity to be
very profitable. If I had to gueuss I would say there are probably more
XBox360 exenders than any other types.
"Cleetus Awreetus" wrote:
- » "media center extender" "transcode 360"==watching movies?
- — Next thread in » Windows MediaCenter OS Forum
- » Is there an easy way to remove (reset) all media sharing permissions and start over?
- — Previous thread in » Windows MediaCenter OS Forum
- — Newest thread in » Windows MediaCenter OS Forum
- » Better graphics then built in i7-4770k (passive cooling)
- — The site's Newest Thread. Posted in » Home-built Computers