Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Susan Sifton
April 25, 2005, 1:22 am
rate this thread
When you see this WinXP error message:
* Windows System Error - A duplicate name exists on the network.
If you indeed have two computers with the same computer name,
then the solution should be obvious.
But, if you don't have two computers with the same computer name,
then, read the Microsoft knowledge base (KB) 822659 article:
Which says, in part:
* This problem may be caused by a NetBIOS name conflict
* between the workstation and either another workstation
* with the same NetBIOS name, or a workgroup or domain
* with the same NetBIOS name as the workstation.
The non-obvious solution in my two-computer home network:
* Ensure no computer names match any workgroup names!