Question about Foreign Travel VOltage Converter

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
I need to travel abroad (to Spain, which is in Europe) with my American
laptop. I bought a "Foreign Travel Voltage Converter" from RadioShack,
which supposedly will do the job. However, its power input lacks a
third prong (the "grounding pin"). This means that I can't plug my
surge protector into it. Is it OK to use and/or charge a laptop without
plugging it into a surge protector? Is there a voltage converter
available that has a grounding pin input?

Re: Question about Foreign Travel VOltage Converter

You don't need anything but a new cord, and, in particular, you don't
need a 220 to 110 converter.  Every laptop power supply that I have ever
seen has been "universal", operating on about any voltage from about 90
volts to 260 volts.  Certainly, do check your adapter's input ratings to
be certain that this is the case, but it's a near certainty that all
that you need is either a new power cord or a plug converter.

Also, you really don't need a surge supressor.  All of the laptop power
supplies have reasonable built-in surge supression and, anyway,
switching power supplies are VERY immune to surges to begin with.  To a
large degree, surge supressors are the computer industry's "snake oil".

Citizen wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Site Timeline