Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- Q: Is this Computer Dying?
February 9, 2008, 2:53 am
rate this thread
should just be scrapped or like a simple battery or adapter replacement
issue? I don't want to spend over $100 on a new battery and adapter just
to find out it doesn't fix the problem anyway. If noone can give an
answer, I will try to follow-up with my own information and attempts to fix
etc to help anyone else with a computer with the same symptoms....
All of the following problem description is with the adapter plugged in,
because we only use it that way since for the last few months the battery
has seemed to not be holding a charge of any consequence, like say less
than 10 minutes of life if unplugged:
MODEL: Compaq V2000 Series laptop, a little over two years old.
PROBLEM: Computer only occasionally will turn on, even when plugged in, and
little battery recharge light flashes 3 times, meaning battery needs to
charge. (But it's supposed to work even with no battery in it if plugged
in is my understanding so this is one side of the mystery.)
So the first symptom was it started just turning off out of the blue in the
middle of someone using it, like clicking etc even though it was plugged
in. Then when it was turned back on it would say that it had a power
problem and had to hibernate (though again it was plugged in).
Prior to this the battery life had been getting worse and worse day by day
over the last say month or two. In the last few days it can't last more
than a couple minutes off the adapter, and right now, when successfully
turned on, the charge level will show 100% seemingly always, apparently
right up until the computer turns itself off saying it needs to charge the
battery (even though plugged in). The battery *seems* to be in a defunct
state, but my understanding is the laptop should still work fine when
plugged in even if the battery is bad...
For the last week or so, it seems that the computer cannot be turned on
unless the battery charge light is on (again all of this is while plugged
in). Prior to last night, I would unplug and replug the adapter to try to
get this to happen when it wouldn't turn on and that would work. Usually
I'd have to unplug it and replug it once and the light would come on. Last
night that method stopped working, or became something that works only
Last night also, when I finally succeeded in getting it to turn on (on a
successful re-plug of the adapter and the charge light finally coming on),
I noticed the battery light was flashing almost the entire time it was
turned on, but not during the first couple minutes. This flashing continued
the entire time I was using it. I don't recall ever seeing a flashing
battery light when the computer was new even if it wasn't plugged in and
the battery was low and am not sure what that is supposed to mean. If it
means that the battery is getting low and the machine will be forced to
power down soon, that didn't seem to happen at least for say 20 minutes or
so I was using the computer. The flashing just continued over that entire
The compaq web site says that the computer should always work with the
adapter plugged in, even with the battery *removed.*
I took out the battery last night to see if the computer would actually
work better while plugged in then, but it didn't, it again would not turn
on at all. Since then I've gotten the computer to turn on once or twice,
but never when the battery was in.
Also, forgot to mention, when I try to turn on the computer (again, all of
this is while plugged in to the adapter) the charge light flashes three
times. This was the normal behavior when it was new that meant "the battery
needs to be charged, please plug it in." Of course the computer is plugged
in right now when this happens. When I try to turn on the computer with the
battery pack completely removed, nothing whatsoever happens and I've never
been able to start it that way. Last night I did successfully run the
computer with the battery pack removed for at least a number of minutes
after the computer had been successfully turned on (while the computer was
not *turned on* with the battery removed, it did *keep running* after "hot
removing" the battery).
I'm guessing the most cost effective thing to try is a new adapter, but I
somehow doubt that will fix the problem, and I don't really want to throw
money down the toilet on things if this computer is dead.
Re: Q: Is this Computer Dying?
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, el cheapo adapter and see if that helps
which I doubt it will, if not it's a motherboard problem.
Anyone know anything about motherboard repair of this type? Is it
complicated or are there some simple things that can be done for a person
who can e.g. replace hard drives or add memory?
Re: Q: Is this Computer Dying?
Further update: Tried another known good adapter of same type and the
computer was working while plugged in again. So apparently adapter is in
fact bad. I also left the thing plugged in and let the battery charge,
thinking perhaps the battery is not so bad after all - maybe those problems
were the adapter's fault too, and the battery did sit and charge for maybe
30 minutes at least before I unplugged it. But when I tried to turn it
back on unplugged, not even a faint attempt to turn on, and I assume the
three charge light flash thing came up saying that battery needs to be
I'm still concerned this computer might be messed up but I took the plunge
and ordered both adapter and battery, both supposedly the OEM HP/Compaq
ones from this place I found, we'll see how it goes, I'll try to report
Re: Q: Is this Computer Dying?
HOPEFULLY FINAL UPDATE: Got new HP/Compaq OEM adapter *and* battery and
now everything seems to be working fine (for several hours). As mentioned
above, the "known good" adapter fixed the problem with it not working when
plugged in. The battery now seems to have pretty good life, more like when
it was new as well, so everything so far seems A-OK. May give more updates
if any problems crop up. Thanks to all who responded.
- » Was this a virus? Can I reinstall XP from a flash disk (CD drive broken)
- — Previous thread in » Laptop Computers Forum