Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
January 31, 2008, 9:58 pm
rate this thread
2 out of 5
2 out of 5
Machine: Thinkpad T61 (All Renditions, or Sub-Models)
In Company KB: No
Subject: Operating System Installs
Impacted Operating System Install
Some Linux Distributions except those that load the AHCI (Serial ATA /
SCSI) drivers at boot.
All Microsoft Windows Versions
During Microsoft, or Linux setup, if AHCI driver is not installed you
will receive an error eluding to the fact that you do not have a Hard
Drive, Partition, Device present that you can install the software to.
This is a hardware and software issue for older Installation routines
and programs that were not written to load AHCI driver interfaces by
1. When booting your machine, press the ACCESS IBM button offered as
an option when rebooting, or powering up the machine.
2.. When prompted, press the F1 key to enter the BIOS program.
3. Goto the CONFIGURATION option.
4. Goto the HARD DRIVE option.
5. There are 2 modes, the default mode is AHCI, move the selection to
this box, press the ENTER key and select COMPATIBILITY.
6. Press F10 to SAVE and EXIT
7. Respond to the subsequent dialog (do you really, really want to
8. Your installation of any kind should now work flawlessly.
NOTE: After installation it is safe to return to the BIOS and change
the setting back to AHCI. It is a bit faster.
Should you have any suggestions, please post them.
If you are going to format this laptop to reinstall Microsoft Vista,
or XP you need to keep in mind that these machines contain and likely
all subsequent will use the SATA interface, or SERIAL ATA interface
which is good.
Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T61 - Operating System Installs
email@example.com typed on Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:58:45 -0800 (PST):
Why is that good Torvant? I am just an electrical engineer, so I am just
not that smart. But since parallel uses 8, 16, 32, or even 64-bit data
lines. Which is like a super highway of 8, 16, 32, or even 64 lanes of
data traffic. While serial means it uses only one bit. Or like having
only one lane of traffic. The only reason to go less as in serial, is
that it is dirt cheap to manufacture IMHO.
email: change kom to com
- » Why are HP Power Adapters so expensive and can I use another adapter for my HP Pavillion ...
- — Next thread in » Laptop Computers Forum