Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
April 3, 2005, 3:07 am
rate this thread
the keyboard, so if you're in the same boat, here's how to do it. (Of
course, you take apart your laptop at your own risk!). My spacebar
decided to die and I couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I ordered
another keyboard on Ebay.
All of the documentation for the 701c has been removed from the IBM web
site, but you can still find the service manual at:
Should this link dissappear in the future, here's how to take apart the
case in a nutshell.
Tools: You need a special Torx #6 and #1 driver. I found the Torx #6
driver at Lowes as the Task Force #1371. If you can't find that, a .050
hex wrench will also do the trick. The #1 wrench must be ordered from a
specialty tool shop on the internet. Being cheap, I instead took the
smallest precision screwdriver I had and I filed off the edges to make
it small enough to fit into the microscopic hole in the screw on the
front of the keyboard.
1. Remove all visible large screws except for the 4 screws holding on
2. Open the screen all the way up 180 degrees. If you removed the screw
on the right side, near the hinge, you can pull up on the plastic piece
which has the lcd lights and it comes out.
3. Undo the screw near the right hinge.
4. Undo the 4 screws on the front of the keyboard lid.
5. Push back the lid, then up, then out.
6. The keyboard is connected with special connectors. Pry the tabs on
either side to pull out piece of plastic that wedges the connectors.
Good luck on your 701c repair job. They're cool computers and I really
like mine to play older games with my kids, but since you can get a
701c for about $40 on Ebay, it doesn't make sense to take it to someone
else to have it fixed.
Re: How to repair, disassemble, take apart 701c thinkpad laptop
need something like that service manual or a disassemble manual for my
thinkpad ,,,do you know where i could get one that is free (please) it is a
IBM thinkpad i series 1300 model #1171-5XU
please your help would be really apprecaited please
- » CD stuck in brand new laptop; paperclip trick does not work
- — Next thread in » Laptop Computers Forum