Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- Jerry Turba
May 29, 2005, 9:48 pm
rate this thread
can easily locate wireless signals in the neighborhood. They are open and
not encrypted. I will try some local hot spots pretty soon.
I bought an Acer 1681 laptop and am still in the process of setting up
security and customizing it. It looks like it will meet my purposes very
I do have some questions:
1. The drives are formatted with FAT32 and I would like to convert them to
NTFS; however I am not sure if the Acer Restore disks will still function
properly afterwards. It is generally not recommended to revert back from
NTFS to FAT32. And BTW what about Windows system restore? Would it be able
to cleanly go back to FAT32?
2. I have turned the Windows Firewall on and checked the "no exceptions"
box. Later when I check the settings the firewall is set to off. This has
happened more than once. What is going on? I have never seen this happen
on a desktop. Yes I am sure I clicked on apply or ok, because there were
times when I did check the status and found the firewall still on.
Thanks for your help.
Re: Followup on wireless etiquette, and a few questions.
If u have a DOS-type restore (image file with .IMG or .BIN etc) the
restoring utility most like will offer to reformat drive.
If image file with .GHO, this is a more advanced restore option and if
may let u keep an NTFS partition.
If u purchase the GHOST utility, u can snapshot an image anytime and
restore when needed. Such as after you have installed all your
everyday applications. Ghost understands NTFS. Recommended.
- » I am looking for refurbished laptops for third world countries, whom to contact if I want ...
- — Next thread in » Laptop Computers Forum
- » Dude, Where's My Service? What's the best laptop for service and performance?
- — Previous thread in » Laptop Computers Forum