Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Ganesh J Acharya
August 27, 2012, 3:55 pm
rate this thread
1. A website's file name has to be UI friendly, rational (must be
understood on reading it), and should aid in high ranking on search
2. W3C the consortium that recommends website best practices use
example.com/FileName like formats with their own website W3.org. E.g.
http://w3.org/AudioVideo /, http://w3.org/QA/TheMatrix
3. The smaller the URL, the easier it will be accessing it. It is
easier to cite example.com/123, example.com/standards etc over the
4. The website's URL should not get truncated while being displayed
over the search engine results page (SERP). So the website's URL has
to be as small as possible.
5. The maximul URL character length that is currently allowed over
google.com before URLs getting truncated is 60 characters without
spaces. So, one must keep the URL length well within that.
6. It is better to avoid "www" getting displayed in the URL. Having a
"www" in the URL will add to space.
7. Avoiding delimiters like "-", "_" etc, and changing the first
alphabets of the words in the file name to capital e.g. "example.com/
FileName" helps to keep the URL small and keeps the file names
meaningful as well.
8. People use the URL to navigate through a website. People go back
and forth categories using a URL. For e.g. people visit example.com/
metal/gold/ directly from the page example.com/metal/gold/price.htm to
get other information pertaining to Gold.
9. It is easier to copy paste URL from the browser address bar
directly to the chat box, email etc. If a URL does not clarify what
the recepient will be seeing upon visiting it, it will raise suspicion
about the end result. Remember there are pages those infect a computer
with virus. So, people are very careful about the URLs, pagenames,
category names etc. An example.com/metal/gold/price.htm is always a
better than example.com/1234, since the former clarifies what one
would be seeing on opening the page.
If you notice an important point missing above or flaws in our
research, kindly comment