Keyboard scrolling in web pages?

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

On the vast majority of web pages that I access I can scroll or jump
vertically in the page using the up and down arrow keys on the regular
keyboard, or the Page Up, Page Down, Home and End keys on an extended
keyboard, all of which is very handy.

On a small fraction of web sites, however, using any of these keys
instead opens a dropdown window near the top of the screen, just below
the toolbar field that contains the current URL.  This window seems to
have something to do with Google searching and is totally unwanted, by
me anyway.

Is there a preference or option to eliminate this behavior, or convert
it back to scrolling?

(This is with Mac OS X and Netscape 7 -- and I seem to see only these
two disjoint behaviors, never anything else.)

Site Timeline