Firefox/IE7 display issue

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View


I have a site I'm working on for a customer and trying to figure out
why its displaying differently in IE7 than it is in Firefox. =

It looks perfect in Firefox, however when viewed in IE7 the navigation
is clearly broken. I've spent hours modifying it and trying different
layout options and nothing seems to work.

Compared to this page: /

...which looks perfect in both browsers. I realize these pages do not
validate against the W3C. That aside, this is an platform so
its hard for me to see all the markup in one place. It's all buried in
different controls. I don't have the time to go through and fix each
little error.

If anyone has some insight into the problem I'd greatly appreciate it.

Re: Firefox/IE7 display issue

On 9/17/2007 1:53 PM, Adam K. wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it =
Quoted text here. Click to load it

I viewed the page with SeaMonkey, which has the same Gecko rendering
engine as Firefox.  It does not look perfect.  The page is too wide.  To
view the entire page, I have to use the horizontal scroll bar, which is
a damned annoyance.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

The page has 215 XHMTL errors.  Even if they are minor, that many errors
can easily mean that how a page is displayed by different browsers is a
matter of chance.


David E. Ross
< .

The only reason we have so many laws is that not enough people will do
the right thing.  ( 1997)

Re: Firefox/IE7 display issue

Quoted text here. Click to load it

There are other problems - no body background color defined.  Therefore,
since I have a pale blue background for my windows, I clearly see the
edges of white images.  
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Some of the errors are "reference to external entity in attribute
value".  This is the result of sending field1=value&field2=value, when
the ampersand should be properly escaped, eg. field1=value&amp;field2
=value.  You can create a function to do this, eg:

function makeqstring(string)
makeqstring = replace(string,"&","&amp;")
end function

You are using an XHTML doctype, and generating HTML markup, eg:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="../_css/P2WStyle.css"> which should be
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../_css/P2WStyle.css" />
Notice the addition of the type and the ending slash.

You are better off changing your doctype to HTML, or please read up on
using XHTML (including lower case element and title names).  Changing
the doctype to HTML reduces the errors to 85.  

Or you can configure your application to conform:

One of the reasons I won't switch to ASP.Net.  _I_ want control, and I
write valid markup.

Quoted text here. Click to load it


Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
Please respond to the group so others can share

Site Timeline