Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- Hard drive chattering noises???help
- Bob Brown
June 19, 2006, 3:18 pm
rate this thread
Re: Hard drive chattering noises???help
Depends why it's chattering. Possible causes of excess
- not screwed into drive rack good (tight)
- Drive rack not secured to rest of chassis good
- Drive rack uses ill-fitting drive rails
- rack or rest of case is very thin metal, especially with
more than one drive it can cause resonant effects
- Very fragmented drive (filesystem)
- Racoons playing ping-pong in your case
- Drive failing (check it with Maxtor diagnostics software)
Yes, noise is bad. Pinpoint the cause and then you know how
bad or how fixable. Backup the data and see if the drive is
running hot. If it's about dead, get an RMA from Maxtor.
- » Exasperating graphics problem, motherboard related?
- — Next thread in » Home-built Computers