Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
December 17, 2006, 12:47 pm
rate this thread
power issues in the past few months. It only seems to charge the
battery when hibernating or when it is turned off. Also the computer
switches from AC power mode to battery power all the time, usually
shortly after being turned on, or awaking from hibernating. All this
means is that I can only run the computer on battery power until the
battery runs out, then I have to hibernate it and wait for the
battery to charge. You can imagine what an inconvenience this is. I
have tried buying a new power supply thinking this was the problem.
After realizing this solved nothing I tried replacing the power jack.
Still the same problems persist. I'm running out of ideas here.
Re: toshiba laptop power woes
There are 3 major subsystems at play, the external PSU
input, the notebook onboard power board (may be integral to
the mainboard), and the battery.
Since you have replaced one (PSU) and presumably confirmed
it's connection is good, we can presume that subsystem is ok
so long as you feel comfortable assuming the new PSU works
properly, and the AC input to it is *normal*, you don' have
home(?) AC problems. This assumes the new PSU is capable of
the current the notebook demands for simultaneous running
and battery charging, which we can hope to assume if spec'd
for same current as the original.
Having a bad battery could account for seemingly not
charging it sufficiently, to the extent of an immediate
reduction of remaining battery life when powered by the
battery, but not switching to battery mode while still
plugged into the AC adapter supply.
It seems the remaining subsystem should be examined, the
mainboard or separate power board and any remaining
mechanical connections. If you were able to run the laptop
open and check power at various locations with a multimeter
it might help (though there is no way we can indicate the
correct locations without having the notebook or a schematic
and understanding of it's particular physical construction.
We can't know how electrically inclined you are though you
did mention replacing the power jack which is beyond the
ability of many people. If you feel you can open and
troubleshoot the internals, that would be the next step. If
not, take it to someone qualified to do so if the cost
doesnt' exceed it's value.