Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- system down - looking for recovery ideas
December 21, 2006, 4:00 pm
rate this thread
software RAID 5 - all of the devices were grouped together as a LV.
We've now lost access to it. It took a while to piece together the
entire story, but here it is:
1. Whoever initially set up the server plugged the SCSI cable into the
RAID controller and vice versa (but it all worked, so no one realized
2. As mentioned, the array was configured as a software RAID 5 rather
than as a hardware RAID - again, it worked, so no one else realized the
3. A Dell technician came on site last night to replace a processor in
the server. When it came time to replace the cables, even though he had
marked where the cables came from, he put them back in the "proper"
places, and (possibly) did a hardware RAID 5 configuration without
saying anything to anyone. When he couldn't get the system back up, he
came to us.
4. At that point, we were unable to boot the server. It freezes while
uncompressing the kernel.
Anyone have any idea if recovery is possible?
Re: system down - looking for recovery ideas
Is there some reason (that apparently went over my head) that you can't
put the cables back in the "improper" places?