need what exactly? - ide enclosure I think

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
you may recall that my laptop is recently deceased ... Now I need to
transfer files from the old laptop's hard drive to the new one. What do I
need to buy? I see that there are 3.5 and 2.5 ide enclosures .. Is there
such a device that will work for 3.5, 2.5 and 5.25 ide hard drives? I am not
sure what size my laptop's hard drive is ... and I do not want to undo the
27 screws again to measure it.

Re: need what exactly? - ide enclosure I think

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 11:46:37 -0000, "code_wrong"

Quoted text here. Click to load it

It's 2.5" if any of those 3 options... most are.

A 2.5" external enclosure will work as-is.  A 3.5" or 5.25"
will require an adapter to convert the smaller 44 pins of
the laptop drive to the larger 40 pin configuration of a
desktop 3.5 or 5.25 drive.  The adapter is pretty easy to
use, just plug it in, and costs about $4 online.  However,
some small and cramped 3.5" enclosures may not have
sufficient internal space to fit the adapter onto the rear
of the laptop drive.  You might be able to disassemble such
a case for long enough to get the adapter connected and copy
off the data, but without need for a larger external casing
you might as well just get the 2.5 type.

You're going to have to undo same screws to remove the drive
anyway so whether you wanted to do that to measure it is a
bit irrelevant.

Site Timeline