Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
December 24, 2008, 3:19 pm
rate this thread
I wish to purchase a new laptop and chose Inspiron 1525 as it seems to
be an affordable one with a Pentium processor.
1) What is your budget?
35K-45K in Indian rupees
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of
your country as an indicator.
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this
Programming. Will be using the machine for 10-12hours/day on weekends
and holidays for development and learning purposes.
6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places,
leaving it on your desk or both?
Both, but travel won't be a lot.
7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games or types of
Hardly playing games
8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
2 should be fine as wherever I will travel I can take the adapter with
9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before
purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
I am located in India, Asia where there are no Dell physical outlets
so I have to purchase after seeing it online.
10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
a. WXGA 1280x800 or occasionally 1280x768; For people who like big
text and icons that are easy to read. Less stuff fits on the screen,
which translates into more scrolling.
12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy
Build Quality and Design
13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
Not much, more important is cost, life(how long can it work without
14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this
laptop to last?
Thinking of buying within few weeks and want it to last 7+ years(if
15) How much hard drive space do you want; 80GB to 500GB? Do you want
a SSD drive?
160GB should be sufficient.
16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner
or Blu-Ray drive?
CDRW/DVD ROM is fine.
How experienced you are with computers?
Fairly experienced with them, but disappointed that my Inspiron 1100
lasted only 5 years. Had a electrical surge which damaged the
I gather from Dell reviews at http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...&s=3Dd =
that it gets up heated a lot, quickly.
Should I choose another model?
I would appreciate any advice and suggestions.
- » Newest MemTest86, MemTest86+ incompatible with Sandy, Ivy chipsets?
- — Next thread in » Computer Hardware