Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- External USB Hard Drive Problems
January 5, 2007, 12:18 pm
rate this thread
Digital IDE hard drive connected to each other and then connected to a
workstation via USB. The OS is XP Pro and I am having a strange
problem. At times the drive works fine and shows the files as a drive
letter. Othertimes nothing happens. I have replaced both the drive
and the case and still have the same problem. I've tried multiple
workstations, checked disk management and sometimes the drive will show
up in there, othertimes it does not. When it does and its not working,
the drive shows up as 298.09 GB healthy - 1749.91 GB unallocated. Yes,
that says GB. Lastely the system slows way down, to basically unusable
So, what do I do?
Re: External USB Hard Drive Problems
change the jumper settings from anything other than cable select. The
drive only has a Master/Single (which is no jumper), the rest are
either CS or slave. I used an external usb to IDE adapter and the
drive works sometimes as well.
Maybe the partition data or NTFS tables are screwed up?
- » OEM hard drive - how can I tell if it's used or new?
- — Previous thread in » Computer Hardware
- » PC camera at top of 20-foot pole, wired or wireless?
- — Newest thread in » Computer Hardware
- » Switch module causes __DATA__ to not be read
- — The site's Newest Thread. Posted in » PERL Discussions