audio connector

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
Does anyone know exactly what type of connector you need to hook up a norma
l headphone output to the input of a PC's microphone jack?

I want to hook up an Android's audio to a PC.

I remember my friend said he got one at Radioshack back in around 1992, but
 there are so many different ones?


Re: audio connector

bob smith wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

There's an assumption here, that the world is based on standards.
And that isn't always the case. More than one standard exists
for audio jacks. With mobile devices, space is at a premium,
which can lead to all sorts of imaginative solutions for I/O.
(Apple crap comes to mind.)

In which case, you should state the make and model number of your
device, just in case it uses some goofy adapter.

Desktop PC computers are pretty regular in their usage of 1/8"
stereo jacks. For some of my audio needs, I might use something
like this. You can get male to male, or male to female (extension)
type cords. This is a male to male.

"6-Ft. Shielded Cable, 1/8" Stereo Plug to 1/8" Stereo Plug"

But I can find plugs with smaller dimensions. This converts
the "small" plug hole, to "regular" size. You could take
your Android to the mall with you, and get the RadioShack
sales person, to line one up for you.

"3/32" Stereo Jack to 1/8" Stereo Plug Adapter"


There's a comparison picture here. My headphones, use the connector
on the right (but the headphones also have an adapter for 1/8").
You can see the other possibilities, are the 2.5mm and 3.5mm ones,
the ones covered in the previous RadioShack links. The metric
dimensions are only approximate, if you "attempt to do the math".


On one of my Macintosh computers, they use a plug like this for
the Microphone. In the Wikipedia article, this one is labeled TRRS.
But the Apple version, the dimensions of the contacts (spacing) seem to be
different. What I eventually ended up doing with the Apple microphone,
is chopping this connector off the end, and putting a regular audio
connector, then adding a separate connector for +5V input from a
wall adapter. Works great (as the Apple microphone has an amp chip
inside it). And the microphone still works with the Apple that way as
well. Just needs the wall adapter, to use it.

Some computer amplified speaker systems, also use TRRS, which
is quite annoying. But not an issue for you at the moment.

And that four contact thing, is an example of a lack of adherence to
decent standards. There's really no need of it, and it need not
have been introduced, at all. (You can do phantom stereo microphone power
on a three contact 1/8" plug, no problem at all. A fourth contact
is not needed. And the Creative speaker systems, could have used
conventional plugs as well.)


Re: audio connector

Quoted text here. Click to load it
Quoted text here. Click to load it
Quoted text here. Click to load it

In Europe we generally call the miniature audio jacks by 2.5 & 3.5mm.  
Farnell have even taken to calling the 1/4" guitar lead plugs "6.3mm"  

audio connector

I'm seeing some weirdness with an audio connector.  Basically, I have one with
two rings around it, and it doesn't work.  I have another with three rings and
it works.

The two ring one looks like this:

The three ring one looks like this:

Can someone help me to understand the difference between these two?


Re: audio connector

Quoted text here. Click to load it
Quoted text here. Click to load it
Quoted text here. Click to load it

The first one is a bog-standard audio lead, such as from a PC soundcard to  
the first unit in a pair of speakers.

The one with an extra ring is clearly listed as an "auxilliary cable" - a  
range of gadgets use these cables, the extra circuit may be control or even  
power in some cases.

Going in the opposite direction - using a stereo 1/4" plug with guitar  
pedals may not work because many use a stereo jack with the extra contact  
shorted to case by a mono plug to ground the -ve end of the battery. That  
backs up or even replaces an ON/OFF switch.  

Re: audio connector

Ian Field wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it
Quoted text here. Click to load it
Quoted text here. Click to load it


The article here, shows the Android TRRS (left-hand connector in diagram),
the fourth contact is for control.

It could be, that inserting a regular audio plug, does the equivalent
of keeping switch S1, depressed.

And naturally, not all mobile devices, will be designed the same
way. They could have TRS (3 contact) or TRRS (4 contact). It
just occurred to me (doh!), that TRS equals Tip, Ring, Sleeve :-)

Maybe it means buying a cable like this, chopping off one end,
leaving one contact open circuit, and connecting the other three
to a regular stereo plug.

(Stereo plug for other end...)


(Stereo jack for other end...)


Site Timeline