Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protect... - Page 7

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



RayLopez99 wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

SQL injection vulnerabilities (and attacks) are very common, very current,
and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, much like other kinds of
vulnerabilities.

Do you really think that just by using ADO.NET you have eliminated the
possibility for SQL injection vulnerabilities? Are you that clueless?!

Just because a database access framework like ADO.NET allows for
parametrized queries does not mean that everyone uses them correctly all the
time, or uses them at all.

Regards.


Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



In article <446fb1dd-34ac-4d8f-ac67-b410429567e2
@q21g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88@gmail.com says...
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Based on your cross posting changes, your inability to comprehend real=20
issues and their causes, I can only assume that you're trolling.


--=20
You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little=20
voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.  
Trust yourself.
spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



Leythos wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Of course he's trolling. But he seems to be the sort of troll that likes
demonstrating how utterly stupid he is. The cure of course, is the same as
with all trolls, stop feeding him.

--
SteveH



Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



steve.houghREMOVE@THISblueyonder.co.uk says...
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Sometimes it's fun to play with the trolls :-)

--
You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.  
Trust yourself.
spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



On 3/23/2010 3:53 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I have urgently warned my friends and family against the use of
file-shareing freeware and such.  Heck, convincing them to use even one
antivirus program reliably has proven impossible.  Even though I remind
them, and help them, and check up on them, and explain and re-explain
the dangers, they just plain ignore me. They "forget" that it's
important, and forget to update, and forget to run scans, and when I set
the scans to be automatic, they cancel the scanning if they catch it
running, because "they are trying to do something" while it's running.

Look, the malware guys will keep winning and keep getting what they
want, because idiots aren't required to have a license to drive a
computer.  It's just like nearly any idiot woman can become a mother.

It's a very touchy subject, because actually controlling what people do
becomes a rights issue.  At this time, people generally have a right to
be idiots, even when it causes problems for others.  What can you do?
You can't make stupidity illegal, or else 7/8th of the world's human
beings would have to be imprisoned.

It's clear why Linux is not the solution.  Idiots can't use Linux.
Gloat all you want, you Linux lovers, but your services and businesses
are still going to be shut down, because the people running the world
are not you.

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?




Anybody else?  So far nobody has proved a serious true virus infection
has occurred on a Windows machine.

***
Well, I guess you're going to have to tell us what your definition of a
"true virus" is. I suspect that you're after the reason AV would still
be needed even if everyone followed safe practices otherwise. There
haven't been that many viruses running in trusted channels lately,
mostly because the money is in other types of malware that partake of
the low hanging fruit.

If a USB Battery charger's companion software can be a trojan, certainly
it is not out of the realm of possibility that a vendor could pass a
virus *unintentionally* in their otherwise legitimate software. That is
one consequence of infectious self-replication - it is an automatic
trojan creator. I would say that it is *more* likely to find a "virus"
in a legitimately obtained program file than it would be to find a
trojan function (in fact, I can't recall another case where the malware
was intentionally included, usually it was a virus).
***



Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



On 23/03/2010 07:51, RayLopez99 wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

As someone who repairs a lot, I have. However, these have ended up
installed as a result of the pillock at the keyboard ignoring all the
warnings.

--
Conor
I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



In article <d3e7e841-da07-457e-8b0a-98a065269cb5
@f8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88@gmail.com says...
Quoted text here. Click to load it

What about all of the compromised computers, Windows computer, that had
Office Business Contact Manager installed and were not secured - BCM
includes SQL server and when the PC is connected directly to the
internet it can easily be compromised without triggering an AV event.

--
You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.  
Trust yourself.
spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?




Quoted text here. Click to load it

Well that does sound problematic.  Trouble is, a brief Google search
found nothing...  If you can find a cite, it might make your point,
but otherwise I'm afraid I have to classify this as Urban Legend.

Anybody else?

RL

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



In article <c2cd7ff1-b408-4206-b92d-111ea1bf090c@
30g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88@gmail.com says...
Quoted text here. Click to load it

HA HA HA - and yet it just about shutdown internet use for days in many=20
locations.

You really didn't look very long or hard, it's one of the largest events=20
in the history of the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_slammer_%28computer_worm%29

--=20
You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little=20
voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.  
Trust yourself.
spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?




Quoted text here. Click to load it


Proves my point:  a zero day attack and when did this happen?  05:30
UTC on January 25, 2003.

Ancient history, like your name.

Goodbye Leythos (sounds Greek to me!)

RL

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



RayLopez99 wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

It was *not* a zero day attack. The vulnerability was known and a patch was
available a good number of months prior to the attack. Learn the terminology
before posting.
 
Any way, for a virus to stop these kinds of attacks (remote buffer overruns)
it would have to filter the network traffic, and that is impractical for any
server with significant traffic.

Regards.


Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



In article <dd7648cf-d514-4fca-a6ed-bd1d6efb7410
@b7g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88@gmail.com says...
Quoted text here. Click to load it

I see you've graduated to troll status.


--=20
You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little=20
voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.  
Trust yourself.
spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?




Quoted text here. Click to load it

Who cares?  You like attribution it seems--so if you're American you
voted against Obama because he's black?  And you know the stats about
blacks...crimes and stuff.

Troll or not, my points stand. Your 'point' is on your head.  Quit
reading the signature line and start reading the content of the post.

RL

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



In article <05473c52-e486-4f1b-83ab-744749e460b6
@k13g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88@gmail.com says...
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Your point is lost because you ignore ALL of the people that have=20
responded with first hand examples countering your position.

That you've resorted to attacks and cross-posting is another sign that=20
you've lost your position.



--=20
You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little=20
voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.  
Trust yourself.
spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



RayLopez99 wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it


Well, Ray, or whatever your name is, you've just earned yourself the
twit of the year award.

Have fun slooshing around in your muck.

wolf k.

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



RayLopez99 wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Troll or Stupid, which is it?

--
SteveH



Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Neither.  Begging for attention SteveH?

What don't you understand about computers that's so difficult?  Let me
summarize this thread for you, since you don't like nuances, I'll keep
it simple:

Install your MSFT patches, keep your AV / malware shields up, get a
firewall, and then you are safe from everything except esoteric hacks
of IE from professional Chinese government computer scientists, or
from zero-day attacks, which, as various knowledgeable posters have
stated in this thread, are not that common anyway (by they time they
become common, a patch is issued by Kaspersky and others).

A compound sentence but I trust you're smart enough to digest that?
Maybe my trust is misplaced?

Yes a worm in 2003 disrupted the net for a day--big deal.  If it was
Linux rather than Windows probably the same thing would have happened.

Bottom line:  Linux losers, quit spreading FUD about Windows and
security.  There is no security problem with Windows, properly
maintained, as I defined it.

RL

Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



dc1df36cfabd@q23g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

Quoted text here. Click to load it
post.

Uhh, no.. actually, your not. It wouldn't take much programming work to
write some new malicious item which is going to evade ALL current
security AV/AM in place. If your really a coder as you said, you should
know this..
 
Quoted text here. Click to load it

I'm not going to take a position on this one. I believe under the right
conditions you can secure a windows box; but the user won't be happy.
However, to just say keep your patches updated and keep your AV uptodate
WILL keep you safe is just.. irresponsible. It will keep you much safer,
yes, but your still not 100%.



--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior


Re: Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?



In article <cc0f6771-bc19-478c-81f4-
dc1df36cfabd@q23g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88@gmail.com says...
Quoted text here. Click to load it

You know, if you had clearly stated that the first time I think that
most of us would have agreed with you, but you didn't.

--
You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.  
Trust yourself.
spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Site Timeline