Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware - Page 8

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 9/3/2011 2:46 PM, Bullwinkle. wrote:

<snipped>

Bulltinkel your hole is 24hoursupport.helpdesk where you are the news
clippings posting queen. Your hole is calling you.  I am telling you
Bulltinkel.  COLA is your cup of tea it can be your second squat spot.
COLA is trash like 24hrs.

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

Apparently you spend a lot of time there, you are always going
on about it.

that is enough to keep normal working people away.

Carry on with it, as it is your cup o tea.




On 9/3/2011 2:46 PM, Bullwinkle. wrote:

<snipped>

Bulltinkel your hole is 24hoursupport.helpdesk where you are the news
clippings posting queen. Your hole is calling you.  I am telling you
Bulltinkel.  COLA is your cup of tea it can be your second squat spot.
COLA is trash like 24hrs.


Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 9/4/2011 2:53 AM, Bullwinkle. wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

I go there to 24hrs to jump on your ass about your continues news
clippings postings BS day and night postings. Who in the hell do you
think you are clown a wannabee Walter Cronkite you silly clown? :)

I don't know what wild hair popped off in your crazy ass that made you
start making these posts and cross-posting to other NG(s) too with your
bullshit news clippings.

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

You have a reading comprehension problem.

COLA is your cup of tea now get along back over there.

BTW as a public school drop out
you really should try to improve your reading skills.




On 9/4/2011 2:53 AM, Bullwinkle. wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it


I


Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 9/4/2011 2:54 PM, Bullwinkle. wrote:

<snipped>
<yawn>

You are boring me Bulltinkle run along now and go find a news clipping
to post, sensationalize it, lie with half truths and misinformation.

Hey wait a minute that sounds like COLA. :)

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 03/09/11 15:46, Big Steel wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

It is certainly true that if you have an old machine from somewhere, you
will get more out of it with a modern Linux than with a modern Windows.
  And you can easily get a copy of Linux to install legally.  To go the
windows route, you need an old Windows CD (say XP or W2K) and cheat on
the license.

It is always difficult to generalise on other people's usage.  But for
my own usage, my PC's are certainly no dumpster dives.

I tried W7-64 on the machine in the beginning, and made a serious effort
to learn W7.  But I just could not feel comfortable with it, and found
it too slow to use (I don't mean it ran slowly - the hardware is fast
enough to run anything quickly).  For me, the OS and it's gui should
stay out the way and let me run the programs I want the way I want.  W7
is a big step backwards from XP in that regard.

So I wiped it and use Linux for almost everything on this system, with
occasional uses of an XP virtual machine.

For my office machines, I use one Linux desktop and one XP desktop, and
several virtual machines of different types on each one.  The different
systems have their advantages and disadvantages.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

MS does not pay /my/ bills, nor does Linux.  My work pays my bills, and
I use the system that is most efficient for doing that work - currently
around half-and-half Windows and Linux for desktop work, and 98% Linux
for server work.  At home, I use the system I prefer.

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

Quoted text here. Click to load it

   You choose to fabricate whatever you like.

   Reality as you've seen it really doesn't matter.

[deletia]

--
                                    My macintosh runs Ubuntu.        |||
                                                                    / | \

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

David Brown stated in post jZadnfiNwcKAtv_TnZ2dnUVZ8oydnZ2d@lyse.net on
9/3/11 6:26 AM:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

You can also buy one from the following companies:

    Abaco Computers
    Blackstone Systems
    Codelock Computer
    ComputadoresLinux
    Dell
    Eight Virtues
    Emperor Linux
    eRack
    Evo Technologies
    Fit-PC
    Frostbite Systems
    Genesi USA
    HP
    Inatux
    LinPC
    Linutop
    Linux Certified
    Linux Emporium
    Linux-service.be
    Los Alamos Computers
    open-pc
    System76
    Think Penguin
    Zareason    
    Zinside

And likely more.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

The first half is correct... but often in COLA it is noted how desktop Linux
and many of its apps can be had for free.  Of course this is a huge
"selling" point.  It is also one of the main reasons I, personally, use it
for the businesses and individuals I install it for.

In other words: I am a counter-example to the denial that it is not used to
save money.  It is... I know because I use it for that purpose.
 
Quoted text here. Click to load it

I use it on many machines where I no longer have access to the license that
came with the machine.  Or where the machine came without a Windows license.
I am hardly the only one.

Quoted text here. Click to load it



--
πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š



Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 09/03/2011 10:34 AM, Snit wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

   The real answer is that the software is *offered* for free.

Quoted text here. Click to load it


--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062
AMD64X2 6400+ Ubuntu 10.04 64bit

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 03/09/11 16:34, Snit wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

It is far from easy to buy pre-build PC's either with Linux installed,
or at least without Windows.  It varies quite a bit from country to
country - but certainly you are going to get a much smaller selection,
and pay higher prices.  (That's for desktops and laptops - any serious
server supplier will offer you machines with Linux pre-installed, or no
OS if you prefer.)

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I don't use Linux on the desktop to save money - although one of the
reasons why I use open source software, even on Windows desktops, is for
the cost.

For business use, it is not the zero cost of open source software in
itself that saves money - it is the convenience of not having to think
about licensing or purchasing.  MS Office, for example, is not /that/
expensive - not for a company, anyway.  But for the few users in the
office who have it, it means getting acceptance for the costs, deciding
on the languages (we have Norwegian and English versions of software),
ordering the packages, waiting for the delivery, installing them, etc.
With Open Office, we can simply download the latest version with the
languages we want, and install it on the machines we want.

For server usage, the cost savings of Linux and open source software are
substantial - in hardware costs, software costs, client access costs,
and of course in the time saved setting up and maintaining the system.
Although my company uses Windows for most desktop usage, we have used
Linux on servers for over a decade.


Quoted text here. Click to load it


Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

David Brown stated in post 0rSdnQz_n9TK-fjTnZ2dnUVZ8o-dnZ2d@lyse.net on
9/5/11 5:07 PM:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

It is pretty trivial to buy a PC without windows (for an experience user) -
esp. if you include Macs as PCs.  But, sure, there is so little demand for
them it is not the norm.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Sure... when is less demand for a product that is often the case.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

You can configure a Dell "server" as you wish... but they used to also have
Linux desktops.  

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Sure... and you then have to balance that with the usability of each
program.  It is often a bit of a guessing game as to which will serve any
given business better in the long run.  I just moved a business to
LibreOffice (from WordPerfect).

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Well, on the server side Linux is very, very often the better choice.  For
my web hosting, for example, that is what I use.
 
Quoted text here. Click to load it



--
πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š



Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 06/09/2011 02:15, Snit wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Excluding Macs, obviously, it is not easy to get a PC without windows -
the big shops and big suppliers don't sell them.  You need to get them
from a small place that builds themselves, or a company that specialises
in such machines.  That will often mean better quality machines - but it
will mean less choice (especially for laptops) and higher prices.

MS do not let big companies sell PC's without windows - if a company
does that, they lose all or most of their rebate on windows licenses.
You have to be /very/ big to negotiate terms with MS that give you good
prices for your windows licenses while also selling Linux (or no OS)
machines.

So yes, you /can/ buy pre-built machines with Linux or no OS - but they
are a lot harder to find, and they cost more than if they had windows
pre-installed.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

That's the main reason, of course.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Well, sort of - Dell had a couple of desktop models that they sold with
outdated versions of Ubuntu in a few countries.  You had to actively
search for them - you couldn't find them from sensible links from the
home page.  The machines cost more than equivalent ones with Windows,
and the pages were plastered with "Dell recommends Vista" adverts.  When
you tried to configure the machines, they tried to sell you MS Office
for it.

Servers are a different matter - there you can get them without an OS,
or with RHEL or SUSe pre-installed.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I agree.  I find OpenOffice (well, LibreOffice these days) to be a
better program than MS Office.  Opinions vary, of course, and we try to
be flexible at my company.  But I would take LibreOffice over MS Office
regardless of the price difference.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Again, I agree - while the cost (especially time) savings is a definite
big advantage of Linux over Windows on servers, it is not the only
reason it is a better choice for us.

Quoted text here. Click to load it


Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

David Brown stated in post BJSdnWvnxO_1QfjTnZ2dnUVZ8rqdnZ2d@lyse.net on
9/6/11 1:38 AM:

...
Quoted text here. Click to load it

*Can't* sell them... at least not in enough quantity to make it worthwhile
to them.  It is not as if this is based on some conspiracy or something...

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Sure, though such biggies as Dell and Walmart have put their toes in the
pool... and then pulled them back out again.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I would *love* to see support for this.  Given how both Dell and HP and
others *have* tried it I find this very unlikely.  Yes, I know years ago MS
had some illegal deals and they were fined for it.  I am talking *now*.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Cite?

Quoted text here. Click to load it

But why blame MS for this?  I really would love to see your evidence.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Right: not Microsoft.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Oh, they have a lot more than that: http://goo.gl/V1JBG and
<http://goo.gl/1I2ET

You can also get FreeDOS if you want.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

And given how they are very much a specialty item, that is exactly what one
should expect!

Quoted text here. Click to load it

recommends *Vista*?  Um, no.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Right: where there is demand for other options they make them more visible.
Just as one would expect.
 
...
Quoted text here. Click to load it

What do you like about it more?

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I am very much an advocate of informed computing - use the tool that works
best for you (in your budget, of course).  Sometimes this means using open
source tools... sometimes it means using close source tools... and sometimes
it means using tools which are a hybrid.  That is very much what I do and
what I suggest for my clients.

In other words: more choice than those who push *just* open source
solutions.  And for this, in COLA, I am deemed to be "anti-choice".  George
Orwell predicted COLA.  :)

...



--
πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š



Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 06/09/2011 16:12, Snit wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

MS didn't have "some illegal deals" - they had mostly illegal deals, but
were only fined for a few.  Manufacturers who tried to complain would
quickly find themselves paying shelf-price for windows (or DOS - it goes
that far back).  I'm sure you'd have no problem finding plenty of
references to the "one license per cpu sold" deals, and can look up the
history of how IBM could not afford to give away their own OS, OS/2, on
their own PC's - because it would make the windows licenses too
expensive on their other PC's.

MS was convicted of abuse of monopoly power, and fined - but the fines
were so small (compared to MS profits) that made economic sense to break
the laws and pay the fines.  And MS has always had good business sense.
  To make sure they did not repeat their offences, they were ordered to
monitor themselves - and even that order has now run its term.

I haven't bothered to keep track of this particular issue in recent
times - but I've seen plenty of other shady business practices from
them.  I'll assume that the leopard has not changed its spots.


Quoted text here. Click to load it

I don't blame MS for this - at least, no more than to a small degree.
There are lots of reasons behind this, as I have explained.

And even for the part MS plays, it is only fair to remember that they
are just following the key commandment of capitalism - you must maximize
the profit for your shareholders.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Correct.

I dislike MS as a company, and I dislike their business practices (in
case you hadn't guessed).  But I don't give them the blame for all the
world's ills - at least not the /whole/ blame :-)

Quoted text here. Click to load it

That's servers...


Digging through the links takes you mostly back to main selection pages
(leading to windows-only machines), outdated information pages, and some
mentions of a couple of end-of-line products that had Linux.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

It's okay to say that Dell doesn't sell Linux on desktops and laptops.
But if you (or Dell, or anyone else) wants to claim that they /do/, then
they it should be practical to find them.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Past tense - I was referring to the brief time when Dell made a vague
effort to sell Linux desktops, and had links that were practical to find.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Again, that's fair enough - Dell, like any serious server supplier,
sells servers with Linux.  But their vague attempts at selling desktop
Linux were a bad joke.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

The pdf export is, of course, a major feature.  But generally I've found
it more stable, especially for larger documents, and I find it works
better for structured documents.  To be fair, this is biased by personal
use - I don't use MS Office much except to try to help others with
problems.  But for some reason, the few MS Office users at the company
have a great deal more problems than the majority who use OpenOffice.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I have the same attitude.  For operating systems, that currently means
mostly Linux on servers, Windows on desktops (often preferring XP).  And
for application software, it depends on the usage.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

The "happy middle" is not always happy...




Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

David Brown stated in post INadnamiOoYcp_vTnZ2dnUVZ8g6dnZ2d@lyse.net on
9/6/11 8:19 AM:

...
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Cite?  And relevance to the current situation?

Quoted text here. Click to load it

What is the relevance to the current situation?

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Ah, the old no-evidence-so-let's-assume-the-worst concept.  Got it.

I would like to see current, relevant evidence before I jump to conclusions.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

But why assume - without evidence - that the illegal deals of the past are
still happening?  I do not think anyone denies they *happened*, the
contention is in saying that they still exist even thought here is no
evidence and there is contrary evidence (OEMs selling Linux based systems).

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Fair enough.  

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Yeah... when their was more demand they had more on their site.  Sad to see
this has diminished so much.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

They have... they do a lot less now.  I did give a list of companies that do
(or at least did fairly recently).

Quoted text here. Click to load it

At the time they were much easier to find.  Heck, Linux systems were in
Wal-Mart.  Hard to get easier to find than that.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

How much more should they have done?  And to whose benefit?

...
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Well, with CutePDF or the like, that exists on Windows, too.  And if you are
running MS Office on a Mac, *all* Mac programs have Print to PDF *and* PDF
Services (easy redirecting of the PDFs to other programs or destinations...
comes in real handy in many cases).

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I was helping someone the other day with LibreOffice and then showed them
Apple's Pages.  They stopped by this morning - and I asked them if they
could re-do some of the stuff we talked about in LibreOffice and in Pages
(granted, this is not MS Word, but I could compare that, too).

They agreed to let me record them and upload it:
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ootjP-cFVO8
.

I find these types of things in OpenOffice / LibreOffice all the time (or
where complaints about MS Office are not true).  From some past experiences
(videos of me working):

  Indents / styles:
    <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/OOIndents.mov
    <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/OOIndents2.mov

  In response to complaints about how much space the ribbon takes:
    <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/ribbon-space.mov

On and on... there just are not many places where OO/LibrO shine as far as I
can tell.  If you can point me to some of those areas, though, I am happy to
look into them and report what I find.

...
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Fair enough.  And even two people with the same philosophy will come to
different conclusions as to what is "best".

For me I tend to use Linux on servers, esp. web servers (the main servers I
work with).  I tend to prefer OS X on the desktop, but that depends on what
is needed.  I have a client who needed a machine just to show a
PowerPoint-style slide show in an office.  I suggested Linux - they ended up
going with Windows, which also works fine for that.  I did move their office
to LibreOffice (from Word Perfect).  No, I do not think it is as good as MS
Office, but money was a concern and their needs were very minimal (really,
Word Pad would cover most of their needs).  They did need to run
Windows-only software so Windows is what they use.

I have set a few schools up with Mac and Ubuntu labs (Macs for the higher
end needs, Ubuntu for the lower end needs).  In the future I might opt for
Mint over Ubuntu.  Those same schools have Windows in some teacher's rooms
and in many of the admin offices.

I am certainly not a one-size-fits-all type of tech consultant.  :)

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Very true.  


--
πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š



Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 06/09/11 18:33, Snit wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

As you say, there is little doubt that such illegal deals did happen.
There is little doubt that MS have always considered it better for
someone to use /their/ software without paying, than to use software
from somewhere else.  There is also little doubt that MS continues to
engage in behaviour that is at best ethically questionable, and at worst
directly illegal.  Big examples involve their influence behind the SCO
farce, and the OOXML "standardisation" - practically destroying the most
important international standards organisation to protect their near
monopoly.

The "windows tax" continues to exist - it is rare to find someone who
has successfully got a refund for an unused Windows license.

Licensing deals between big OEMs and MS are all closed-doors deals.

All in all - no, I have no evidence to claim MS forces (or just
encourages) OEMs into licensing deals that make it hard for them to
offer non-Windows systems.  But I can see it would be /very/ easy for
them to get away with such deals - all in the interests of saving the
OEMs money, of course.  And I can see it would be in MS's interests to
make such deals.  And I have seen no evidence of a change of heart in MS
leadership suggesting they shy away from any tactics that help crush the
competition.

Whether you agree with that or not is up to you.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

To be honest, I expect that most people that were interested in looking
at the site already had PC's running Linux.  At that time, Dell was not
a particularly popular choice of OEM for home users - at least, not the
more knowledgeable ones.  They had a bad reputation for customer support
for small users in many countries.  And business users looking for
professional Linux machines would be looking for different sorts of
models - and an outdated version of Ubuntu is unlikely to be their first
choice of distro.  So my guess is that Dell didn't sell many Linux systems.

It has always been the case that most Linux users are happy to install
their own choice of distro themselves.  What they want is systems that
the OEMs will sell without an OS, with a statement of the exact hardware
and an indication of the support in modern Linux distros, and an
assurance that the OEM will not consider installation of Linux as an
evil act of vandalism that voids the warranty.  And they want that as a
choice on standard models - not just the occasional outdated and
underpowered system.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Unfortunately, these mostly either have a similar attitude to Dell
(again, I am referring to desktops and laptops here, not servers), or
they are small, specialist OEMs - most are only a good practical choice
if you happen to live in a particular region of the USA where they are
based.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I didn't know that (I am not in the USA - we don't have Wal-Mart).  And
I certainly didn't know Dell sold through supermarkets.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Well, I'm not sure it made sense for them to try at all - I think their
limited effort was perhaps worse than useless.  I would have preferred
that they simply made "no OS" an option in their standard system
configuration.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

We use pdfcreator as standard on all Windows PC's for general pdf
"printing".  But pdf export directly from OpenOffice is much better than
just a printout - the pdf file is smaller and faster to use, tables of
contents give you proper bookmarks, and links and cross-references all
work.  For structured documents, you get a much more professional result.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I don't have any experience with Pages, but I can give you a hint for
OpenOffice - hold shift down when you resize, and it will keep the
aspect ratio.  I'd agree that this is perhaps not intuitive, and that it
should be the default behaviour, but it /does/ work.  And the "original
size" button also works - but like the other sizes in the properties
box, it is not real time - it doesn't take effect until you click OK.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Well, as I say it's a lot to do with taste and how you like to use the
program.  To me, the idea of visually modifying margins by selecting
bits of text and then creating styles out of them is working backwards -
I set up my styles the way I want them, and use them consistently in a
document.  If I want to change the appearance of a style, I'll modify
the style - not manual modification of the document.  OpenOffice suits
my way of working here.

(Actually, I prefer to write serious documents with LaTeX, but I have to
make /some/ sacrifices for compatibility with other people.)

Quoted text here. Click to load it


Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

David Brown stated in post 15GdndbfWa_AEfvTnZ2dnUVZ8hadnZ2d@lyse.net on
9/6/11 2:10 PM:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Without getting too philosophical, I would be willing to say there is no
doubt.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I think the OOXML complaints have been overblown in COLA.  For example, look
at the Wikipedia page and see the list of complaints:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML

Quoted text here. Click to load it

As long as you do not open the box, you can return most software just fine.
So it is not hard to get a refund on Windows.  Where people get bent out of
shape is when they buy a *system* and then want to return parts of the
system and have the company they bought it from set a price on that part.
Alone.  And often they want the full selling price of that part.  That is
just silly.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

As are the deals for most of the components of a computer.  How much does
Dell pay for memory?  How about for the drivers they include?

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Ok: fair enough.  There is no evidence of the accusation.  This I can agree
with.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Given the level of trouble they got into last time, and the bad publicity, I
would not blindly assume such.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I can see saying you would not doubt it.  I have no problem with that.  To
claim it as something that *is*, however, is wrong.  As you noted, you have
no evidence to back it up.

...
Quoted text here. Click to load it

I believe at the time it was the #1 choice of OEMs.  It no longer is.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

There is little demand for Linux on the desktop - and those who do want it
do not need it pre-bundled, by and large.  As such, when thinking in terms
of the quantity of computers Dell and HP sell, there is essentially *no*
demand for desktop Linux being pre-installed.  What minimal demand there is,
of course, is split between distros: so the only way to meet the demand is
to have multiple distros: Ubuntu and Mint and PCLOS and Debian and who knows
how many others.  Then you have to market each type and explain the
difference... and support them.

A mess.  A money-losing proposition.  Why would Dell or HP even consider
this?  The fact that they *have* is a good sign for desktop Linux - but it
would be rather surprising to see it work.  As even Shuttleworth has noted:

  Question:
    -----
    What do you see as the main obstacles holding back the
    success of the Linux desktop?
    -----
  Shuttleworth:
    -----
    I think we don't yet deliver a good enough user experience. I
    think we deliver a user experience for people that have a
    reason to want to be on the Linux platform, either because of
    price or because of freedom. If that was your primary reason,
    Linux is the right answer.
    
    But if you are somebody who is not too concerned about price,
    who is not too concerned about freedom, I don't think we can
    say the Linux desktop offers the very best experience. And
    that's something we have to change, that's something I'm
    committed to work on, focusing increasing amounts of
    resources of Canonical on figuring out on how we actually
    move the desktop experience forward to compete with Mac OS X.
    -----

And while I do not really like Unity, I think it is hard to argue that
Shuttleworth has not been working very hard to do that - things have gotten
a lot better on desktop Linux in general since he made those comments (to be
clear, not all because of him, in case it sounds that way!).

Recently Roy and I talked about PCLOS.  He made claims about current and
past versions and was pretty far off the mark.  But, to be fair, I had
underestimated the distance that PCLOS had come (I had not used the current
PCLOS distro, but it really is indicative of the ecosystem).

To show the facts about PCLOS (old and new) I gathered images and linked to
older ones. Roy and I were talking in terms of OS X (as was Shuttleworth) so
that is my comparison for the new version of PCLOS.  Here is the PDF:

<http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/PCLOS-OSX-comparison.pdf

Now simply looking at those few tidbits of the user experience is, alone,
not that informative... but it is indicative of the level of detail
competitors to desktop Linux are giving their experiences.  Desktop Linux
must rise to that level and perhaps even beat it if it wants people to seek
it in large numbers.  The good news is if you look at the links to older
PCLOS at the bottom of the PDF you can see PCLOS has come a *long* way in a
relatively short period of time.  Night and day difference.  I was
pleasantly surprised and it re-invigorated my advocacy.  It is good to get
some eye-openers from time to time.  :)

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Can you find any OEM whose warranty is dependant on keeping Windows on the
system? They will not, of course, support software they do not sell... but
that makes sense.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

In order for desktop Linux to gain a real foothold it will have to earn it.
The OEMs do not owe it to the open source community to sell them systems at
a loss.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I have not purchases a computer in a brick and mortar for years... at least
the last decade.  If you know what you want, ordering online is just fine.

Full disclaimer: that "last decade" means my last three computers... I have
one that is about a year old, one that is about four and another which is
eight or nine or so.  All still in use on a daily basis (the oldest might
get skipped on occasion, but pretty much daily - it is being used right
now).
 
Quoted text here. Click to load it

There is a corner of the world they have not tried to take over?  Wow.  :)

[Sarcasm... they are *everywhere* in the US]

Quoted text here. Click to load it

If they were to do that they would likely end up with higher support costs.
Right now their support is largely: rest to factory default and let your
data die.  With a no-OS computer they would get a lot of calls from people
trying to install all sorts of stuff... and running into troubles (that is
inevitable, I am not saying Linux is hard to install).  So then they likely
would have to charge *more* for a system with no OS, or at least as much
(and that does not even take into consideration the garbage-ware that they
get paid to include).  So they would have the option to buy a full system
for X dollars or an incomplete system for the same amount or perhaps even
more.

Not exactly something one can make a good case for.

Since the no-OS option is not likely to be cheaper than than the Windows
version, and the included copy of Windows does nothing to make it harder to
install Linux, there really is no need for a no-OS version.
 
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Hmmm, I know OS X's print to PDF includes a lot of that... I would have to
play with CutePDF and Word.  I thought it did, too.  I could be wrong.  If I
am, then yes, that is an advantage of OpenOffice / LibreOffice.
 
Quoted text here. Click to load it

I *expected* that.  It did not happen.  I was surprised.  Here, with the
shift-key being shown by an arrow when it is being used:

    <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/shift-resize.mov

Quoted text here. Click to load it

If that did work it would not be that big of a deal - that is the norm for
many image programs and it could even be argued that while that is less
intuitive it is a benefit because of the consistency.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Just tested and you are correct... but the percentages are messed up, as
shown in the original video.

Can you not see why, after working with a modern and professionally designed
package, how LibreOffice would seem a bit... primitive, for lack of a better
term?  They YouTube video really is quite telling.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I think I have given some very definite areas where OO.o/LibreO are just
objectively inferior.  You have given one where they are better at least out
of the box... though you can pretty easily upgrade MS Word to include pretty
good PDF export support (and if you need more you can get Acrobat plugins
which give you a *lot* of power with PDFs - they are not free however).

I think my LibreOffice / Pages comparison is just striking - LibreOffice is
just primitive by comparison.  I really think that is hard to argue against.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

If you can show an example of OpenOffice (or LibreOffice... just assume that
when I say OpenOffice!) doing what I show MS Word doing I would love to see
it.  I cannot get it to work (I have not tried in a while... maybe it has
been fixed?)

Quoted text here. Click to load it

But you can do that on any OS.
...



--
πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š



Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it


Post less.  Your verbal diarrhea coupled with your evasive answers is
pretty noticeable even by a casual reader of your slop.

RL

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

RayLopez99 stated in post
bec2d90b-0a4d-4a95-81f4-3a131703af86@u20g2000yqj.googlegroups.com on 9/7/11
10:27 AM:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

He makes more sense than the COLA "advocates".  By far.


--
πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š



Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

Sneaky Weasel stated in post 4e680fa3$1@news.x-privat.org on 9/7/11 5:41 PM:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

The herd has not beat him down yet.  You were beaten down easily.

--
πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š



Site Timeline