Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware - Page 5

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware


Quoted text here. Click to load it

Not true. I know all kinds of graphics artists who do the mac thing.
 
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Mac isn't a windows market. Malware authors are about the money now. When
mac has enough people to make it worthwhile, the malware authors will
target it.


--
I am a sinner
Hold my prayers upto the sun
I am a sinner
Heaven's closed for what I've done.

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

Dustin stated in post Xns9F54C3752FB4EHHI2948AJD832@no on 9/2/11 4:06 PM:

Quoted text here. Click to load it
Hmmm, Macs have about 20% market share in the use and people pay for them,
on average, about 2-3x as much.  So people in the US are spending about the
same for Macs as they are on Windows machines... which implies the owners
might have about the same amount of money to be scammed out of.  Or at least
pretty close.

The security by obscurity claim is proving to be largely false.


--
🙈🙉🙊



Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 9/2/2011 7:31 PM, Snit wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

LOL, I have to disagree here in the case of Linux at the desktop being
used which is usually a sign that the user is broke and doesn't have any
money. :)

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

Big Steel stated in post Or6dnTbH6oSq9PzTnZ2dnUVZ_vSdnZ2d@earthlink.com on
9/2/11 4:38 PM:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Sure: Linux users likely have less money - given that one of the primary
reasons people use Linux is the lower initial cost.


--
🙈🙉🙊



Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 9/2/2011 7:48 PM, Snit wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

No bang for the buck with crooks and Linux at the desktop. So why bother? :)

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware


Quoted text here. Click to load it

That's right. It's *not* that linux is somehow fort knox compared to
windows, it's that the userbase isn't viable for money making.


--
I am a sinner
Hold my prayers upto the sun
I am a sinner
Heaven's closed for what I've done.

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

Dustin wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it
Maybe not Fort Know, but a lot safer? You bet

Quoted text here. Click to load it

And that same old bullshit over and over again.

Tell me, how did I ever get that Mac I use for programming OSX stuff?
How did I buy those other 7 computers I to be found here?
How did my son get his Mac? His iPhone?

How did I ever get to buy a sailboat?

By squandering money for basically useless windows and its applications?

Just don't tell us that you try to be dumber than Hadron Larry. First, thats
a near impossible feat. Second, it is by no means desireable


Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

Peter Khlmann wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it
None of which has anything to do with his statement.

The Windows userbase is viable for making money because of the computing
power that it represents, not because of the user's thick billfold. It's
not about *who* gets their ID stolen - it's about *how many* get their
ID stolen.

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

FromTheRafters wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Oh, it certainly has

Quoted text here. Click to load it

And how easy, you forgot to mention.
For the same reason linux servers get hacked a lot less than windows
servers. And linux servers represent 60% to >70% of servers (depending who
is doing the survey).
Owning a server is much more desireable than owning a desktop. Because you
get access to lots of desktop machines then

Tell us, how does *that* compute in your simpleton worldview?


Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 9/3/2011 3:17 PM, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

You can't reason with a COLA lunatic.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

That's Web servers dummy and you know it. Where have you seen a Linux
Web server or done anything with a Linux Web server professionally or
any kind of Linux server period?

Lets not forget now that you are a MS desktop COM programmer. And you
are using MS solutions to collect a paycheck.

Why can't you get a job or collect a paycheck as a Linux programmer?

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Like I said, he's Peter the Great a total hypocrite.

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

Big Steel wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Idiot


Nope. I don't even program those thinsg on windows.
I compile them on windows. To get windows programs. Just as I compile them
on OSX. To have the very same programs for apple.
Programming is all done on linux, you cretinous dimbulb

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I haven't "collected a paycheck" since about 20 years, Oh Really Stupid One.
I am selfemployed

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Idiot


Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 9/3/2011 3:48 PM, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it
You are the idiot, just like you were an idiot when you lip-serviced
about Model View Presenter and .NET, and you didn't have a goddamn clue
about MVP.

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

Big Steel wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Quit lying. I don't use .NEt *at* *all*
And never will

Youz have managed to be even more clueless than Hadron Larry. Congrats


Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 9/3/2011 4:18 PM, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it
Fool, you lip serviced about the Model View Presenter Design Patten
dummy. You and I both know you have never used a Model View Presenter
Design Pattern in your stink life not in any Web or desktop UI. And I am
not talking about .NET stupid.

You see that's how ignorant you are about it.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Yeah yeah Peter the Great Hypocrite you are great one.

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

Big Steel wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it


Guess what? I don't care what you believe


Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 9/3/2011 4:20 PM, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

You stupid clown if you didn't care your dumbass wouldn't have responded. :)

Like I said, you can't reason with a COLA lunatic.


Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

Peter Köhlmann wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

No it hasn't, it has to do with the numbers. He could have been more
explicit by stating "the size of the userbase" instead of "userbase" but
that should be no problem if left implicit for any *thinking* person.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Forgot to mention? Fact is I just plain wasn't talking about servers.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

That's probably due more to OS security than to the population.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

So, if the ultimate quest is for "lots of desktops" what executable
filetype would you compile your SpamBot for ELF or EXE?

Exactly - you'd target the most popular platform.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Just shows me what an idiot you are, were you expecting something else?

Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

FromTheRafters wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Up to here I wasn't talking about servers. I was talking about windows in
general.
It gets owned by malware a lot easier than linux, and you may feel free to
stomp your feet for hours on end. It will not change that simple fact,
though

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Security plays a role, yes.
But also the fact that linux servers tend to be much easier to admin than
windows servers.
That the companies employing linxu servers don't need to pay as much in
licence fees adds another bonus point, naturally.
Another point may be that linux isn't glued to the x86-processor base as
windows currently is. There isn't any windows for real computers, after all.
 
Quoted text here. Click to load it

No. I'd target the easiest platform. And if that means to go after the
harder one first, in order to have the easy ones served on a silver platter,
so be it. Strangely though, there aren't that many reports of owned linux
servers. There should be a lot more
 
Quoted text here. Click to load it



Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

Peter Köhlmann wrote:
[...]

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I would never have argued against that point.

The *why* of it and not the *fact* of it was in question.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Then you wouldn't cut it as a desktop commercial malware programmer.

However, it *is* true among servers that Linux is a viable target.
Again, there are enough of them to make it worthwhile, and as you
mentioned they tend to have more resources. And again, it is not about
the security of the OS but the "cheese" aspect alone. Web applications
are being subverted.

http://lwn.net/Articles/222153 /

Still, if these owned boxes were being used to distribute desktop
application malware (Bots) - those would be written for Windows machines
for best return on investment because of the numbers.





Re: Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware

On 9/3/2011 3:01 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Let's not forget now, you are dealing with COLA's Peter the Great
Hypocrite. He can't collect a paycheck with Linux and he's got a lot of
lip-service about Linux, but he can sure as hell collection a paycheck
using MS solutions since he is a MS programmer.

Whatever you say to a COLA clown in COLA, you might as well be posting
to the moon.

Site Timeline