Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- new antivirus program
July 20, 2006, 2:27 pm
rate this thread
early next month, my current license for mcafee virsuscan expires and
because I'm tired of logging in as an administrator just to install
antivirus updates, I'm looking for a new scanner.
In the past I had good experiences with Norton, but because I've heard
rumours that also for norton automatic updates don't work when not
logged in as administrator, I would like to get some recommendations
about other programs.
I have already heard of people using nod32, avast, AVG or zonealarm,
but before spending money on them I would like to know the following:
- which one also downloads (and installs) updates as limited user
- which is a good program (price is less important than quality!)
Re: new antivirus program
Go for Kaspersky - either the antivirus (KAV6) or the full internet
security package (KIS6). They are excellent and do run ok under
non-admin users although you have to specify in the configuration an
admin userid and password so that that may be used where necessary.
Updates are more or less hourly, are small, and KIS has one of the best
detection rates (up there with NOD32). An added bonus is that the forum
people are extremely helpful and responsive if you have problems. I
have no connection with Kaspersky Labs and only started using their
product a few months ago. You can download a full one month trial
version (I did that with KIS and purchased later after being mightily
impressed). I previously used Zonealarm antivirus and KIS is streets
ahead, in my view.
- » Switching from NSW 2005 to NOD32. Questions about killing off the NSW components...
- — Next thread in » Anti-Virus Software
- » Virus/Trojan/Ad/Spy/Malware that modifies hosts file when any program is run?
- — Previous thread in » Anti-Virus Software