MBAM IP-BLOCK - Page 3

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View

Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK

Dustin wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

By whom?

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Oh, I'll be American about it!  Just like I posted a workaround to
C-Net's malware, months before a major AV vendor even acknowledged it
(Clueley).

Can I expect an honest answer from MBAM if asked directly?


Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK


| Dustin wrote:
|
Quoted text here. Click to load it
|
| By whom?
|
Quoted text here. Click to load it
|
| Oh, I'll be American about it!  Just like I posted a workaround to
| C-Net's malware, months before a major AV vendor even acknowledged it
| (Clueley).
|
| Can I expect an honest answer from MBAM if asked directly?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I remember, and vouch for, your C/Net download workaround post.

--
Dave
Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp


Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK

David H. Lipman wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Well, its worth a shot.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Thanks.


Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK


| David H. Lipman wrote:
|
Quoted text here. Click to load it
|
| Well, its worth a shot.
|
Quoted text here. Click to load it
|
| Thanks.

Please post the URL of your Malwarebytes post asking for data on this
subject matter.

--
Dave
Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp


Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK

David W. Hodgins wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

I use TeamViewer on my home lan under free "personal use" license. I don't
believe there's a way to connect remotely to a computer that runs it without
alerting the user and giving them the option to kick the "intruder" off.
It's a help desk product, not a security product.

I will say that I haven't studied every way to configure it, or every way it
can be hacked, but I am surprised that it is flagged as a PUP unless no one
at MBAM knows much about it and their attitude is "Let the user make an
exception."
--
Jim

"Be right back!" - Godot






Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK

On 2/12/2012 11:46 AM, Jim Nugent wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Prey project will allow you to monitor devices without announcing the
intrusion:
http://preyproject.com /

--
Bear
http://bearware.info
The real Bear's header path is:
news.sunsite.dk!dotsrc.org!filter.dotsrc.org!news.dotsrc.org!not-for-mail

Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK

Bear wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

We were discussing MBAM flagging/blocking TeamViewer. Prey is not
TeamViewer.

Prey looks like legitimate piece of software but it is intended to fill a
completely different need, which includes hiding itself.



Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK

On 2/16/2012 11:08 AM, Jim Nugent wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it
I provided a very good program link that would "connect remotely to a
computer that ...(will) connect remotely to a computer that runs it
without alerting the user...."

Sheesh...such pedantic replies.

--
Bear
http://bearware.info
The real Bear's header path is:
news.sunsite.dk!dotsrc.org!filter.dotsrc.org!news.dotsrc.org!not-for-mail

Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK

Bear wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Bear,
Apologies. I didn't intend to come off that way. I think you were focuising
more on the first paragraph of my post "I use Teamviewer at home..." and you
were simply suggesting an alternative. I did take the time to look up Prey
and it looks like a very cool program.

The second paragraph went on to discuss why I was surprised that MBAM
blocked Teamviewer.

As I re-read my reply to you, it really does sound like I'm just blowing off
your post "We were discussing THIS."

I'm sorry.

--
Jim

"Be right back!" - Godot



Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK


| David W. Hodgins wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it
|
| I use TeamViewer on my home lan under free "personal use" license. I don't
| believe there's a way to connect remotely to a computer that runs it
without
| alerting the user and giving them the option to kick the "intruder" off.
| It's a help desk product, not a security product.
|
| I will say that I haven't studied every way to configure it, or every way
it
| can be hacked, but I am surprised that it is flagged as a PUP unless no
one
| at MBAM knows much about it and their attitude is "Let the user make an
| exception."

Sometime a signature meant for one piece of malware is found in something
legitimate.

There is a sub-forum at Malwarebytes specifically for submitting possible
False Positive declarations.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=42

--
Dave
Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp


Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 13:04:31 -0500, "David W. Hodgins"

Quoted text here. Click to load it

AH-HA! Yes. I looked at the Windows firewall and noted that TeamViewer
was listed under 'exceptions'. But apparently not in MBAM. That explains
a lot.

Thanks,

--

Dennis

Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 13:04:31 -0500, "David W. Hodgins"

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Say, that's a nice program.  May I ask where you got it?
--
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK

Quoted text here. Click to load it


- Teamviewer 7.0.12541 (free)
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

I prefer the portable version:
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/index.aspx

--
Fred W. (NL)

Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK

wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

    It's linux, and very expensive. There is a free trial here:

    http://centralops.net/co/DomainDossier.aspx

    ;)

    []'s

Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK


| wrote:
|
Quoted text here. Click to load it
|
|  It's linux, and very expensive. There is a free trial here:
|
|  http://centralops.net/co/DomainDossier.aspx
|
|  ;)
|

LOL
ping -a 194.54.81.86

Pinging server9301.teamviewer.com [194.54.81.86] with 32 bytes of data:



--
Dave
Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 14:44:58 -0500, "David H. Lipman"

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Well gee, I don't get the hostname resolution from my ping.
--
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK


Quoted text here. Click to load it

ping  -a  IP_address


--
Dave
Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp



Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK


Quoted text here. Click to load it




Lol! :-)  Didn't occur to me that Caesar was referring to the
host command.  I also assumed he was referring to the teamviewer
program.

In windows, you can use the nslookup command, as in ...
C:\>nslookup 194.54.81.86
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.20.101: No response from server
Server:  ns1.ody.ca
Address:  216.240.0.1

Name:    server9301.teamviewer.com
Address:  194.54.81.86

I'm using the Mageia distribution of linux, which you can get from
http://www.mageia.org/en/downloads /

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

Re: MBAM IP-BLOCK

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 15:50:51 -0500, "David W. Hodgins"

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Yes, I was referring to "host".  Sorry for not being more specific.

Thanks for clueing me in about nslookup.  It works well.
--
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Site Timeline