AVG Questions

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
I have a couple of AVG questions.  I am using the latest version and update
it daily.  I have xpsp2, home edition.

First question - I have scanning of e-mail disabled (both incoming and
outgoing).  Why does it still put up the little scanning icon in the icon
tray when I am receiving a message.  Is that normal, ie it is still scanning
(or protecting you - which I have been told).  I just didn't think it would
put up the little gray box with the progress percentage, as well as the
"spinning icon" icon in the icon tray.   NBD as long as it is working as
intended.

Second question - I just received a bunch of e-mails with photos and was
only able to receive a couple of the photos (one was a .jpg attachment and
one was an insert I assume).  The rest of them (which I assume were inserts)
did not  show up (ie I got the text part of the message, but the little
photo box had the "little red x" in the upper left hand corner).  I am using
OE, and have verified that all the appropriate boxes are unchecked in
tools/options/security (the two that could be blocking attachments or
images).  I have no idea how to correct this.  Could AVG have something to
do with whatever is blocking the photos.  Please help.

Thanks...Pete



Re: AVG Questions


Quoted text here. Click to load it
First Question.  You may not actually have the email scanning fully off.  The
best solution is to
uninstall and then reinstall choosing the option for a "custom install"  Then
you will be given the
opportunity to not install the email scanning feature.

Second Question.  No I don't think that AVG blocked your pictures.  The sender
most likely "linked
the pictures" rather than actually included the pictures.   When sender link the
picture, you have
to have access to the actual location of the picture.  Since your computer is
not connected to the
actual location of the picture (the senders computer, or network) you get the
red X.



Re: AVG Questions

Richard in AZ wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Thanks a lot Richard...I will leave the e-mail scan alone for now, but that
is interesting about the disabling the plugins not taking affect - so much
for the AVG control center :-) .  Let me ask you this about the e-mail
scanning (both incoming as well as outgoing).  I have read several times in
this ng (and others) that it is advisable to disable e-mail scanning in
general, on anti virus software (whether it be AVG, or Norton, or whatever),
and that the protection will be provided regardless of not enabling it.

I never really fully digested the logic for disabling it.  Could you please
explain a little more on the concept that it is better to disable e-mail
scanning, and the pros and cons.

Thanks again...Pete



Re: AVG Questions

Pete wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

If someone sends you a virus, you infect yourself by executing the
attachment. As long as you keep the resident real-time scanner turned
on, it will stop the execution. There isn't any apparent need to scan it
twice.

For Outbound, practically all modern viruses have their own internal
SMTP engine, and don't need to attach their payload to *your* outgoing
mail. They just quietly send in the background when your computer is not
busy.

Also, most of those Inbound/Outbound scanners operate by setting up a
local proxy server (127.0.0.1) in order to intercept the mail for
scanning. This frequently messes up your ability to get mail from your
ISP. It's a frequent question/problem in my ISP's local newsgroups.

Q: "I can't get my mail! What's wrong with your servers?"
A: "Disable Norton and try again."

--
   -bts
   -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Re: AVG Questions

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Hi Beau...what I don't understand is why do they have configuration settings
for e-mail on anti virus software then, if what you say is true.  I have
seen you say this before, as well as other people.  It seems to me if you
enable e-mail scanning, it gives you some kind of "extra protection" (for
lack of a better word).  If not then why do they have it...Pete


Quoted text here. Click to load it

I don't understand.  The 127.0.0.1 is hosts stuff.


Quoted text here. Click to load it



Re: AVG Questions

People expect it and therefore the vendors supply it.
But Norton even puts it in their Web Site FAQ's that it is not necessary.

Quoted text here. Click to load it



Re: AVG Questions


Quoted text here. Click to load it

Marketing. Sales. Business compettion. When you're out to make a buck
you give customers what they think they want and need, not what's
actually needed.

The problem is that realtime scanning email gives users a false sense
of security. AV scanners can only detect what they already know about
to a large extent. New malware that the scanner doesn't yet recognize
will bite you if you play along with marketing BS rather than "safe
hex". Safe hex (and common sense) dictates that you delete all
unrequested email attackments. Those you think might be ok. you Save
to a test folder to be scanned on-demand after a few days. In fact,
you can then scan the test folder using several av products to get
a better chance that new malware will be detected.

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg


Re: AVG Questions

Pete wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Can't answer 'why they have it'. Maybe to satisfy the paranoia level of
those who don't know how to practice safe hex? My thoughts are that all
Persons With Clue should be able to recognized virus-laden email without
even having a scanner present.

Yes, I have a scanner (Avast) and do scan expected files, but the
typical virus email speaks out and says "I'm a virus."

Quoted text here. Click to load it

True, but it is also the IP address of your computer. "localhost". And
blocking ads by setting the domain name to 127.0.0.1 wasn't the original
purpose of the hosts file. That's just a welcome sideline. <g>

--
   -bts
   -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Re: AVG Questions

Thanks to all (Richard, Art and Beau) :-):-) ...Pete

Pete wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it



Site Timeline