Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View


A customer has installed Vipre and I'm curious to know if it's any better than
MS Security Essentials.  Does anybody have *actual* experience with Vipre?


Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



Quoted text here. Click to load it

IIRC Mow Green uses it? I don't know if he posts here though.



Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?




| >A customer has installed Vipre and I'm curious to know if it's any
| >better than
| > MS Security Essentials.  Does anybody have *actual* experience with
| > Vipre?
|
| IIRC Mow Green uses it? I don't know if he posts here though.


Steve Wechsler (aka MowGreen) AumHa VSOP
MS-MVP Consumer Security

........ is a moderator at Aumha

Maybe a good place to ask your question, David Kaye.

http://aumha.net /

HTH

--
Dave BD




Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



On Fri, 28 May 2010 10:36:15 GMT, sfdavidkaye2@yahoo.com (David Kaye)
wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

No, no actual experience, but still confident enough to state
categorically that MSE *is* the best.

MS developed the OS. They are therefore best able to develop the
software to protect the OS.

Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



PajaP wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

That made me laugh!!  Thanks.

--
   -bts
   -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul

Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



On Fri, 28 May 2010 07:52:38 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"

Quoted text here. Click to load it

;)

Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



Hello, Beauregard!

You wrote on Fri, 28 May 2010 07:52:38 -0400:

 >> MS developed the OS. They are therefore best able to develop the
 >> software to protect the OS.
 |
 | That made me laugh!!  Thanks.
 |
Me too...
--
With best regards, gufus.  E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg@shaw.ca



Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



Quoted text here. Click to load it

Non sequitur.

Those that started the fire should know best how to fight it? Besides,
viruses in particular are just programs, and the OS is designed to help
users to execute programs of their choosing.



Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



On Fri, 28 May 2010 20:14:15 -0400, "FromTheRafters"

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Does not matter, The OS is not open source. MS will always have the
advantage and will always be able to write the best code to run on their
OS. MSE is a good example of this. I know they bought out another
company to get the source code for what has become MSE. Then fine tuned
it to become MSE. Very clever of them. I trust it far more than I would
any other AV software.

Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



Quoted text here. Click to load it

There is a difference between being able to write code that runs well on
a particular OS and being able to wrtie code that performs its task
well. MS is no more qualified than any other program vendor to write
code to help with security. MS is at least partially responsible for the
malware infested cesspool that the internet has become, why trust them
any more than another to write code to combat infection?



Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



On Sat, 29 May 2010 11:47:57 -0400, "FromTheRafters"

Quoted text here. Click to load it

No, they are not. That is the fault of the scumbag virus writers.
Windows is the predominant OS. MS are a successful company. This is the
only reason why it is targeted. It has no more flaws than any other OS.
I trust MS to create the OS I use and I also trust them to protect it.

The same applies outside of the digital world. If a scumbag thief picks
(or forces) you home door lock. The fault does not lie with the builder
of the door or lock. It lies with the lowlife who wanted a piece of your
success and the possessions that go with it.

Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



Quoted text here. Click to load it

I'm not arguing that point, it is a strawman.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

MS is at least partially responsible because of the brain-dead decisions
made in the implementation of their home user OSes.

They're much better now, but that does not forgive the past brain-dead
decisions that resulted in all of the commercial malware we see today.



Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



On Sat, 29 May 2010 14:28:32 -0400, "FromTheRafters"

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Just as well because it is fact.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

No, the malware is a result of the morons who write the malware (and
those that kick started the whole virus writing process some time ago).
You can no more blame MS for malware writers than you can any car
manufacturer for the existence of car thieves.

Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?




No, it isn't.

Your turn.



Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



On Sat, 29 May 2010 16:13:40 -0400, "FromTheRafters"

Quoted text here. Click to load it

You are such a child.

Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



On 28/05/2010 06:59, PajaP wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it


Bad logic. You assume that what they are able to do they will do. Past
record shows the contrary. MSE does have a good rep, first MS
anti-malware to make it into the "better than Norton/McAfee" level.

cheers,
wolf k.

Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



sfdavidkaye2@yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

So, I take it that the answer is no; nobody here has used it yet.  


Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?

David Kaye wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Using an anti-virus won't really tell you how good it is.  A reputable
organization has to test how well it responds to malware.  It sounds to
me you are just asking for an evaluation of its user interface.

--
"If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?




Quoted text here. Click to load it

There are lots of people posting on these groups who have inside knowledge as
to how good these products are.  For instance, we all agree that Norton and
McAfee are useless, that MBAM is excellent, and that AVG is so-so.


Re: Any Opinions on Vipre Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware?



David Kaye, 5/28/2010,3:06:50 PM, wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I'm not sure we all agree on any of those things.  For one thing,
Norton 2010 has been rated very highly by AV-Comparatives this last
time and the Symantec Corporate versions have always been decent.



Site Timeline