Alternatives to McAfee / Norton - Page 2

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View

Re: Alternatives to McAfee / Norton


Quoted text here. Click to load it


Well, for me Nod32, excellent detection/heuristics and light on resources too.
Also there is a new version (2.70.16) just out, trial it for yourself and
decide.

Good luck.

#
T.

Re: Alternatives to McAfee / Norton


wrote:
<snip>
Quoted text here. Click to load it
resources too.
and


Have you tried 2.70.16 yet?

I DL'd it last night when I renewed my subscription but I haven't
installed it.

Chas.



Re: Alternatives to McAfee / Norton

Debris wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

No-one ever mentions G Data's AntiVirusKit (AVK)
http://www.gdata.de/gdc/us_start
Overall detection performance seems to be as good as, if not slightly better
than, Avira. It actually detects more windows viruses in tests, and is
reputed to be the fastest at countering new threats, but it's worth reading
the full report. It uses both Kaspersky and BitDefender engines.
http://www.gdata.de/filemanager/filedownload/phpBTK94A/OutbreakShield.final%20ENG.pdf
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2006_08.php
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/report11.pdf

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any personal experience of G Data.
My Trend subscription expires in a couple of months.

--
Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)
http://www.falklands25.com /



Re: Alternatives to McAfee / Norton

Falcon wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it
http://www.gdata.de/filemanager/filedownload/phpBTK94A/OutbreakShield.final%20ENG.pdf
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Addendum: Accourding to av-comparatives.org, a new version of AVK will be
using Kaspersky and Avast engines from 2007.

--
Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)
http://www.falklands25.com /



Re: Alternatives to McAfee / Norton

It already does. It is just the the english website of gdata is still
not updated; but on the german one you can already see it (and it is
already sold in stores since a while).

Falcon schrieb:

Quoted text here. Click to load it


Re: Alternatives to McAfee / Norton

NO-SPAM@av-comparatives.org wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Vielen Dank.

[...]
Quoted text here. Click to load it

--
Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)
http://www.falklands25.com /



Re: Say "No" to BitDefender"


Quoted text here. Click to load it

I went from Norton to BitDefender Internet Security 10 and I HATE it
bigtime.  I've read that some people have good luck with it and no problems,
but I've had nothing but problems.

It updates frequently and basically brings to a halt anything else I'm doing
until it is through updating.  Firewall fails to initialize when starting up
the computer and I have to shut down BitDefender and restart it at least
once, if not 2 or 3 times to get the firewall to start.

I can't run the anti-spyware because it stalls the computer out when it
tries to configure and takes a complete computer restart to come out of it.
If I turn the spyware protection on and try to open Outlook Express it
immediately brings up the wizard to configure spyware protection. I never
get past stalling out part way through the configuration process.  I don't
really care about the spyware blocker because there are other alternatives,
but the rest of it is very annoying. I do care that because I can't use the
spyware part, that I can't set the rest of the program under the general
setting to the highest settings.  Full protection and Internet Plus are
unavailable unless spyware protection is enabled also.

I bought a 2 year subscription to this program and I have done a couple of
"repairs" on it to no avail.  Also dumped any other program I thought might
conflict with it, such as Adware and Spybot, even though they weren't
running in the background.  I've done registry cleaning in case there were
some fragments of old programs causing conflicts.  I finally d/l AVG
anti-spyware to run manually to remove malware.

Did I mention that it also slowed the computer down?  Everyone says that
Norton is such a computer hog, but I never had the problems with Norton that
I have had with BitDefender.  I think it is a "love it" or "hate it" issue
because according to the B.D. forum other people have had the same problems
I've had and yet others have had perfect installations.  Tech support was no
help.  Maybe it only works on new systems or a hard drive that has been
recently formatted.  I wouldn't wish the program on my worst enemy.



Re: Say "No" to BitDefender"


Quoted text here. Click to load it

Bit defender likes to take over your machine completely and prevents other
AV programs from running.

I disagree with you on AVG, Ad-aware and Spybot. They are effective. I don't
let any AV program run in the background but only on demand.

There should be no conflict if you do that with these 3. There are some
other programs that work as well on demand. There are several good programs
but they cost money and are usually annual subscription programs. The only
three I like are Counterspy, Spy Sweeper and Trojan Remover. I only run any
of these when I want to check.

Good Luck and regards,

 



Re: Say "No" to BitDefender"

Bullwinkle wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Re: Say "No" to BitDefender"


Quoted text here. Click to load it

BitDefender came out with an update fix Nov. 21 that addressed the firewall
initialization problem, so that is fixed now.  However, it still brings my
system to a crawl.  If there isn't a fix for that soon, then I'm dumping it,
or disabling it to only run scans on demand and I'll get another program to
run the rest of the time as my main protection.

I don't dare be without protection running at all times when I'm not the
only one that uses this computer. A few months ago my son or one of his
friends installed or allowed to be installed some kind of a movie pass
program that demanded money.  I had a terrible time getting rid of it. It
tried to even tell me that I didn't have the authority to remove it.  I
managed to get it uninstalled finally, then found out that I should have
phoned in and cancelled the program first (read the forums after
uninstalling) and to be careful even what phone number I used to call in
because the phone number was rigged to charge also.  The program was gone
and I had no license number to call in for cancellation.  I finally found
the license number still hidden in the registry and was able to make that
phone call.  It was a program that was supposed to have been cancelled in
the first 3 days or else you had agreed to a year's worth of fees, and I
didn't even know it was on the computer until after that time.  I NEVER want
to spend that kind of time again getting rid of something awful like that.
It was in so many places.  I definitely believe in using more than just
firewall and anti virus protection. A good program would have protected me
from that.

By the way, I do like Lavasoft Adware and Spybot Search and Destroy, the
only reason I uninstalled them was because I thought they might be causing a
conflict with BitDefender. There was some kind of warning about needing to
uninstall them before installing BitDefender.



Site Timeline