Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- Incorporating XML feed into web page
March 7, 2005, 3:38 am
rate this thread
Re: Incorporating XML feed into web page
What do you mean by "incorporating"?
Are you going to be feeding your content, or are you going to be
displaying content from someone else's feed?
Assuming the latter, a two step process, and there are two ways of doing
1. Create a cron job to download their feed every couple of hours. Save it
to some agreed location.
2. When someone visits your site, use server-side processing to inspect
the file at the agreed location, parse its contents and then display the
results to the user.
1. Create a cron job to download their feed every couple of hours AND
parse the contents into a more usable form (e.g. entries in a database, or
better, a finished segment of HTML that can just be inserted into your
2. When someone visits your site, you have less work to do than with
method one. Your processor will thank you. Retrieve the already parsed
data and display it.
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact