" ": Bizarre UTF-8 / ANSI problem

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
Hello group,

Something strange happened to me today...

I made a simple - 10-pages - website.  My colleague uploads the site
(using FileZilla) to an Linux server. When checking the online site, I
notice that all French characters are screwded up.

I take a look at my local files, and notice that they are in ANSI.  (I
thought I saved them as UTF-8 all the time). But never the less the
french text is OK on my local files.  I save them as UTF-8.  We upload
the files again, and online the site looks just like it should.

BUT then I look again at my local  .htm files and  Firefox (1.5) can't
open them any more.  The only thing I see is "=EF=BB=BF " on every page.
Hmmm....   I open the same files in Opera and IE, everything works

Just for fun I saved the files back to an ANSI encoding, but now
offcourse all the french text is srewded up. Even on my local

Now, if anyone can tell me where it went wrong, I sure could use some
help on this one.

maybe this line gives some problems:
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=

Re: " ": Bizarre UTF-8 / ANSI problem

With neither quill nor qualm, FunkyJezus quothed:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

You need to get rid of all the "3D"s in that line.

Maybe setting the charset to utf-8 would help, too.

Providing a url would've definitely helped.

Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.

Site Timeline